Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Tuesday Tuna Salad Rant


I make the walk to my refrigerator, confident about cooking a delicious juicy chicken breast, or perhaps preparing a citrus tilapia filet baked in coconut oil. Well...apparently my refrigerator had other plans. No chicken. No tilapia. No lettuce.
There is always the egg white option. But of course that idea didn't even come to me until just now.
So, I ended up with a measly can of tuna & a rice cake. Canned tuna might be a dietary staple for some fitness freaks, but I can't seem to find a liking for the stuff. Regardless, I made the healthy choice (um, ok, pretty much the only choice) and found myself busting out the can opener to mix up some kind of tuna salad concoction.
 Now, don't get me wrong here, eating clean doesn't have to mean compromising flavor (your girl can make a mean 5 course meal using just the basics). My tuna was definitely doctored with spices & veggies until even he questioned whether or not he had been a tuna at one point. And yes, I just gave my lunch a personality.

We gather here today to remember that food is fuel.  Eat for energy.


 
Clean Tuna Tuesday
1 can of white chunk tuna packed in water, drained and fluffed with a fork.
1 teaspoon of coconut oil, 1 table spoon of plain 0% Greek yogurt, 1 orange baby pepper, 1 yellow baby pepper, 1/4 tomato, squeeze of half a lemon, and an absolutely ridiculous amount of Caribbean spices. 
Not-quite-enjoyed with a salt free rice cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment