Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sunday Funday

"Abs are made in the kitchen. You can't get a six pack by working out, and eating crap."
Yeah, yeah, I know.
This past weekend, one of my very best friends graduated from UCF, so we had a party.
Let me just quit beating around the bush and spit it out: Sangria, cake, *white bread. How that translates to us and our bodies: empty calories and sugar, empty calories and sugar, and some form of non-nutrient that makes me feel bloated and sluggish. And there you have it.
Everything we do is a choice. I didn't have to drink the sangria. I didn't need a bite of cake (icing only). And to be honest, I am shocked that I even looked in the same direction as the white bread. I must have been hungry. Oh, but I ate a salad so that makes my meal healthy right?! Nope. Damage is done.
To try and reverse my weekend-long celebration, I decided to throw on some ankle weights and head out on a 3 mile run (side note: back when my hips still had cartilage, 3 miles would be a walk in the park). When I got to my 1.5 mile mark, my little tree trunks kept trotting. Once I make it to my 3 mile mark, I give my legs and hips a stretch. I didn't want to walk 3 miles back home, but I wasn't sure what my hip would do if I went all out for the 6. What to do? *Fartlek run! Perfect.
I'm almost to 6 miles, feeling like a champion. Hell, lets make it 8 miles! After all you did eat white bread.

8 miles weighted Fartlek run on a Sunday afternoon.
Followed closely by a protein shake & a 40 minute Epsom salt bath.



*Studies from the University of Washington report that by simply switching from white bread to wheat bread, we can lower our risk of heart disease by 20%
*Fartlek Training: A flexible style of interval running, commonly used by beginners to improve endurance and speed by alternating changes in pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment