Friday, May 17, 2013

Do or Die

The only workout my body has seen in almost two weeks was from my bed to the doctors office, and let me tell you, that was a real shlep. This flu has practically consumed me! I have been down for the count for awhile, and although I have yet to be cleared to exercise, I'm feeling good enough to send my thoughts through my fingertips today. Since I'm unable to physically workout, you know I want to talk about it!

Some clients come to me and describe their super amazing, detailed body image goals. Then they say, "Meghan I hate exercise." Whoa! Hate is a strong word there my friend. When I ask, "Why do you hate exercise?", some typical responses are: I don't like to sweat, I don't like wearing gym clothes, I feel uncomfortable in the gym, I feel uncomfortable with myself, I don't want to be sore the next day, I don't like to move...add what you wish.

I say this all the time, that is your choice. And most of those choices smell like excuses from where I'm sitting.

My goal is to not only help you learn to love fitness, but to make you realize why you can't afford to live without it. 

Transformation is a journey, not a destination.
Stop attaching a negative connotation to exercise! Flip the negative over and create a positive.

  •   Hate to sweat? Perspiration promotes good health by burning calories, lowering stress levels, removing toxins and even slowing the signs of aging. Think of sweat as beads of achievement! 
  •   Not digging athletic wear? Wait...seriously? Yeah right, I'm not going to have that conversation. Your health is priority.
  •   Anxious in the gym? I totally get it. The gym can be an intimidating place. Remember that everyone under that roof has a common goal: to improve themselves. If you are unfamiliar with the fitness equipment, ask someone at the front desk about a tour, or schedule a session with a personal trainer.
  •   Feel awkward? Exercises have some strange movements and can make us feel like we look funny. Some of the weirdest looking exercises yield the best results! If you feel uncomfortable working out in front of people, take a class! Everyone else will be doing the same movements as you and you might make a few pals.
  •   Scared of being sore?  Don't be a wimp! If you are really working out, you should be sore. Love and appreciate the sore. That means your body was challenged and is recovering. However, if you are physically unable to carry out daily tasks, you might be doing too much too soon. Release the lactic acid built up in your muscle tissues by taking 10 minutes to stretch each muscle group. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated. And don't be a wimp.


You know I don't like statistics. Something about numbers and percentages puts me on the edge. So, I try to change them! Only 29% of Americans report regular physical activity. You don't want to be part of that statistic, right? Physical activity keeps your blood flowing, boosts self-esteem, decreases your risk of health problems and life-threatening diseases, delivers oxygen to your cardiovascular system providing you with more energy, and it makes you look smoking hot. You have nothing to lose.


Change your mind, change your life!
-Meghan.

No comments:

Post a Comment