Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Recipe: Clean Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Because breakfast is my favorite meal:
Comment if you love egg whites!
Egg whites are high in protein, low in cholesterol, good for the immune system, and easy to make. Reduced sugar ketchup is my kryptonite. To keep my calorie and sodium amounts low, I cook using only Olive Oil spray or half a tablespoon of Coconut oil. Expect my tribute to coconut oil soon.
Veggies for breakfast!
When you eat clean, finding healthy recipe alternatives for considerably unhealthy dishes is comparable to finding money in the pockets of pants you haven't worn in awhile. I'm telling you, when I come across a healthier substitute for brownies or pizza, my eyes grow, my heart rate increases and I'm double checking my kitchen for the ingredients. Clean living is like a fun treasure hunt, searching for new recipes and creating your own wholesome versions.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of carrot cake, but for whatever reason, when I came across this recipe for carrot cake oatmeal  my heart skipped a beat. Because I am who I am, I never follow the recipe to the letter-I take out the ingredients I don't like, and I will replace them with the ingredients I do like so I know I will actually enjoy the meal.

Clean Carrot Cake Oatmeal
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
3 baby carrots finely chopped (or grated)
3 tablespoons of orange juice
Water (enough to cover oats, don't drown them)
1/2 tablespoon of brown flaxseeds (love them, they make oatmeal bread-like)
Cardamom 
Cinnamon
Pumpkin pie spice 
Nutmeg 
Microwave for 3 minutes
Top with toasted coconut yogurt, enjoy!


 I don't remember the original recipe for this, or even where I got it (poor documentation on my part, life goes on), but my final creation wasn't half bad...I definitely need to perfect it at another time. Maybe using raisins and walnuts. 

Try a healthier alternative to your favorite recipe & send me your final clean creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment