Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Give a little love


Lets have a little talk about about your body image. 

Puberty came early for me, like pre-double digits early.
At 10 years old, I remember standing in the gymnasium in my leotard trying to cover up my chest and hide my little hourglass figure.  None of my friends were experiencing these changes yet, I was the only kid in the fourth grade rocking a Pooh Bear training bra and I didn't understand what was happening to my body. 
That summer, during a family beach vacation, I overheard my aunts say to my mother "look at that amazing little figure and those hips!"  Grown women checking me out? Sweet, I'll take it.
This would be the first body compliment I will remember to document, and it forever changed the way I look at myself. That tiny compliment that wasn't intended for me to hear is what would push me through the next five years while I waited for my female counterparts to reach my level of maturity. 
While I learned to love my body at a young age, I notice that a lot of women (men too!) go out of their way to criticize and pick themselves apart. Ok, so society shows us this beautiful image and says "look like this, good luck", but what we don't see is how much work goes into developing that image!  Not to fret, Meghan is here to save the day: You don't need to look like that. You're welcome.
Here is the part where I change your perception: Unless you have some kind of fortune for drastic cosmetic reconstruction, your broad shoulders are going to stay broad, the 5 inches missing from your height aren't going to show up tomorrow, or in my case, these child-bearing hips of mine will be accompanying me to my 30 year high school reunion. What I'm trying to say here is that we are allowed to embrace our genetics. Cliche? Maybe, but its a good cliche. 



From today forward, keep your critical eye shut! 

If you have been waiting for permission to live happily in your own skin, here it is.

Don't be a statistic: 9 out of 10 women are unsatisfied with their image


Below are a few ways I learned to love my body and take pride in what "society" considers to be flawed.

1) Find a full body mirror
Spend some time checking yourself out. Don't think of this as narcissistic, vain, or shallow. Take this time to appreciate yourself as an individual. Balance any negative thoughts with positive compliments. 

2) Accept yourself today
Seriously, stop constantly thriving on what you are going to look like tomorrow. Tomorrow hasn't happened yet, so take the opportunity to accept yourself for who you are in this moment. Change your mentality to focus on the present.

3) Be beautiful
Sit up straight. Pull your shoulders back. Smile. Now stay like that. Own your confidence. You are beautiful.

4) Find out what your body is capable of
This is a subject I will be going in depth on because, really, you don't appreciate what you have! The human body can do some really phenomenal things!  Instead of whining about your chicken legs, go lace up your sneakers and find out how fast they can take you around the block.

5) Stop comparing yourself
You don't need me to tell you that bodies come in all shapes and sizes-but that is what makes them so fascinating! You don't have to be like everyone else! What a beautiful concept! Besides, the person behind you in the line at the grocery store was wishing they had what you've got.


Change your mind, change your life.
-Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment